What Is Fire Phone? Who Is It For? What Are Its Features & Functions? Let’s Find Out!
Are you unsure what Fire phone really is? Do you want to know what makes this phone different from other smart phones? What is this fuss all about?
Well… You are just in the right place! As you probably know by now, I am a Fire phone geek (and a great fan of Android devices).
I’m crazy about my Fire phone. I love exploring it, discovering its hidden features & functions, and showing you what I’ve learned.
In this section, we’ll explore the basics: you will get to know what Fire phone is and if it’s the right phone for you.
UPDATE: I’ve recently finished working on my first e-book about Fire phone apps (click to see it on Amazon). Once in a month the book is under Free E-Book Promotion.
What Is Fire Phone?
Fire phone is the first smart phone designed and manufactured by Amazon.com. Amazon is best known for its Kindle Fire tablets (click to learn more about them on my buddy’s great website all about Kindle Fire tablets).
Thanks to some of its innovative features (I’m going to talk about them below), the phone is quite different than its competitors from Google, Microsoft or Apple.
So far, Amazon has been known mostly for its Kindle Fire tablets (there are ten of them) and Fire TV. Fire phone is in fact a nice (and more handy) blend of these two with an extra feature of being a mobile phone (you cannot make calls with a Kindle Fire).
It comes with Android-based Fire OS, which means that most of Android apps will also work on your Fire!
Who Is Fire Phone For?
Fire phone, being now one of the top Amazon products, is fully integrated with Amazon services (it’s designed for those who use Amazon a lot and love it).
Its best known Firefly feature will identify and look for products available only on Amazon. The default appstore for your Fire phone is obviously the Amazon Appstore for Android. Your photos and videos are backed up in the Amazon Cloud Drive. Fire phone is all about Amazon and you being their customer.
If you love Amazon, you will love Fire phone and how brilliantly it’s integrated with all of Amazon services. But what if you are not an Amazon boy or girl?
Who Isn’t Fire Phone For?
Fire phone is certainly not for those who love Apple, Google or Microsoft and aren’t ready for something new and a bit different. Most of the negative reviews Fire phone gets are from fans of Apple or Google who miss the apps or features Android phones or Apple products offer.
If you want Google Play, Google Maps, YouTube, Gmail or iTunes integrated into your smart phone, then Amazon Fire phone is not for you. However, you can turn your Fire phone into an Android phone if you really want and miss Google stuff.
What Makes It Different?
Many people don’t realize that Fire phone is neither an iPhone nor an Android phone. This is the third “category” of smart phones with its own specific features and functions:
- Full integration with Amazon services only (no Googlewares by default).
- An innovative FireFly feature (discussed below) which identifies and finds items only on Amazon.com (not on other stores).
- Google apps we know from Android phones WON’T work on Fire phone (e.g. YouTube, Google Maps, Gmail) unless you do some modification (read: How To Turn Fire Phone Into An Android Phone and How To Install Google Play On Fire Phone).
- Android-based Fire OS is quite different (in terms of interface and use) from “standard” Android.
If you are still not sure if Fire phone will be right for you, check this article out: Fire Phone Pros & Cons.
I think this is a bit strange, but (as of now) not everyone in the world can easily buy and use Fire phone. There are two main restrictions:
- It’s available only in the US (Amazon won’t ship outside the US, but that’s supposed to change).
- It’s locked to AT&T (Read: How To Unlock Fire Phone) and available only with this carrier. UPDATE: Fire phone is no longer locked to AT&T! 🙂
Fire phone offers a bunch of innovative and extremely useful features. To name just a few:
- Dynamic Perspective which gives the interface layers and depth. Four cameras at the front of Fire phone will track your head and eyes to adjust the image accordingly.
- Firefly Technology lets you instantly identify objects with the use of the built-in camera.
- Mayday which gives you access to 24/7 customer service available within one button press.
- The Gorilla Glass on its front screen and back makes Fire phone scratch-resistant on both sides.
- A Year Of Amazon Prime: access to thousands of movies, TV shows, songs, books, and more!
- Unlimited Cloud Storage for photos (and videos) taken with your Fire phone.
You can learn more about its features in this article.
Fire Phone Functions
As the name suggests, Fire phone is, above all, a mobile phone. But that’s only a fraction of what it can really do and what you can use it for. Once you discover many different Fire phone functions, you will use it as:
- An advanced handy mobile camera
- Your mobile shopping center
- Your educational center
- Your TV set
- Much more!
Apps & Games For Fire Phone
Fortunately, Android-based Fire OS is compatible with most of Android games and apps! It means that you have access to almost 200,000 thousand apps available in the Amazon Appstore for Android.
However, it’s quite difficult to sift through all of these apps and games (there are many low-quality apps). To make it easier for you, I created these two sections:
- Fire Phone Apps where you will find tips about installing and looking for Fire phone apps as well as lists of the best apps with direct download links.
- Fire Phone Games where you will find tips and tricks about how to look for and install games on Fire phone. You will also have access to many lists of best Fire phone games of different categories.
Leave Me Comments!
Do you have any questions, opinions or thoughts to share? What Fire phone functions do you like most? What do you like about your Fire phone most?
Feel free to post your comments in the comment box below. I personally read all of the comments and answer each one of them.