Learn In A Few Simple Steps How To Customize The Carousel In Your Fire Phone
The carousel you know from your Fire is a complete novelty in mobile phones. You won’t find it in Android phones, Windows phones or an iPhone. Many people simply don’t understand what it is all about and how to use it. At first I also didn’t quite get it.
In this article I will show you how you can customize the Fire phone carousel so that it shows only the stuff you are interested in. Let’s begin!
How Does The Fire Phone Carousel Work?
The carousel in Fire phone is basically the place that gives you access to the most recent apps and features which appear in the form of a huge icon (occupying about 1/3 of the screen).
Depending on what type of app or feature is pinned, you will see a list of available settings below it.
If Settings are currently pinned to the carousel, you will see the recently used settings (take a look at the screenshot below).
If it’s some app from the Amazon Appstore, you will see the suggestions of the similar apps. If it’s the Silk Browser, you will see the list of the most visited websites. And so on and so forth.
The items on the carousel are pinned from the most recent to the least recent. To view the less recent apps you have to swipe left until you reach the least recent app.
The carousel is always there. It’s your home screen. If you want to go to the app grind you have to push the home button (the only button Fire phone has) or swipe from bottom to top.
How To Customize The Fire Phone Carousel: Pinning A New App
You can easily pin to front new apps or features for quick and easy access. Let’s say that as a Fire phone geek I am interested in pinning Settings to the top (as I often “mess” with them). Here’s how you do it:
- When in the carousel, navigate to the app you are interested in.
- Long-press the icon of the app you want to pin.
- A small menu will appear. You will have two options: Pin to Front and Remove from Carousel. Choose Pin to Front.
- Once you do it, the app or feature you’ve just pinned to front will always be the first one (even if it’s not the most recent one) and you will have the option to unpin it from the carousel.
If you pin to front yet another app, it will be the first one (as the most recent one) in the carousel. After the apps and features you pinned to front you will see the list of the most used often apps (again from the most recent to the least recent one).
How To Customize The Fire Phone Carousel: Removing An App
You can just as easily remove the unwanted apps or features from the carousel. By default, the Fire phone carousel displays all the apps, most recently used first. If you don’t want some app to appear here, you can remove it. Here’s how you do it.
- When in the carousel, navigate to the app you want to remove.
- Long-press its icon.
- When a mall menu pops up, choose Unpin from Carousel (if it’s pinned to front) or Remove from Carousel.
Once you do it, the app will not be present in the carousel until you open it again from the app grid.
Additionally, if you long-press the app you downloaded and installed (like Easy Backup on the example), you will also have the option to remove it from device.
How Do You Remove The Carousel Entirely?
What if you don’t like the carousel and don’t have to have it all? You can remove it and customize the Fire phone home screen to your needs.
Even though Fire phone doesn’t have the option to remove the carousel, you can turn it off by installing a custom launcher. Once you do it, the whole interface of your Fire will change (and will be more similar to Android).
All you need to do to install a custom launcher and adjust it to your needs. You won’t find any alternative launchers in the Amazon Appstore.
The problem with alternative launchers is that none of them is specifically optimized for Fire phone. In some of them, the system wallpapers don’t work and you are stuck with the black background. In others, widgets don’t work. There are really few launchers which work quite OK.
If you are interested in this, read these tutorials (a bit more advanced):
- How To Install A Custom Launcher On Fire Phone where I discuss the best alternative launchers for Fire phone and how to install them
- How To Install Google Play On Fire Phone where I show you step by step how to install the Play store on your Fire.
- How To Sideload Apps To Fire Phone where you will learn how to sideload just any app to your Fire.