A Short Tutorial Of How To Navigate Your Fire Phone
Even though Fire OS is Android-based, it’s much different from “standard” Android. Using and operating a Fire phone isn’t similar to using an Android phone and for some people is more difficult.
Many new Fire phone users have serious problems getting used to Fire OS. However, the devil is not so black as he is painted. All you need is a bit of instructions I am about to give you.
In this article you will learn how to navigate your Fire phone, use primary screens (center screen, left panel and right panel), switch between the carousel view and app grind view, and more. Let’s start!
The home screen in your Fire phone appears in two views: the carousel and the app grid. You can switch between these two views simply by pressing the home button.
The Carousel View is the place where you can access all the most recent items and act upon them instantly. Here is how the carousel looks like on my Fire phone:
In the carousel view, you can do the following things:
- NAVIGATE THROUGH THE MOST RECENT ITEMS: All you need to do is swipe left or right to move through the items on the carousel. The most recent items appear first. The further left you swipe, the less recent items you will see.
- PREVIEW ITEMS: In the carousel view you will see an automatic preview of each item below its icon. Depending on the type of item, you will see the most recent text messages, e-mail, photos or songs.
- OPEN ITEMS: All you have to do to open the app in the carousel is to tap it.
- PIN ITEMS: You can either pin items to front or remove them from the carousel entirely. To do that, press and hold and item and when a small menu pops up choose either Pin to Front or Remove from Carousel.
App Grid View
The app grid view is similar to what we know from Android phones or an iPhone. This is simply the collection of all the apps on your device you can use and organize.
In the app grid, you can do the following:
- NAVIGATE THROUGH APPS: To navigate through the items in the app grid, swipe up and down. Use the Cloud/Device switch (you can find it in the upper left) to toggle between the apps you have downloaded to your Fire, and the apps in the Cloud that you are available for you to download.
- OPEN ITEMS: To open apps in the app grid, simply tap on them.
- ORGANIZE APP GRID: To reorganize your apps, simply press and drag an app to move it to a different place.
- CREATE APP COLLECTIONS: You can easily group items of the same category (e.g. media items). All you need to do is to drag an item and drop it on top of another item of the same category, and add the name to the collection.
- CREATE APP SHORTCUTS: The first four apps in the first row (there is a line below them) are the apps you will see in the carousel view. If you want to change their order or add different apps here, you can do it only from the app grid. Just press and drag an app to move it where you want.
Right And Left Panels
Amazon Fire phone has three primary screens: a center screen, a left panel, and a right panel. These screens are available on the home screen and in many apps (optimized for Fire phone).
The Left Panel
The left panel usually has additional menus and navigation. To open it, swipe left or tilt the left edge of your Fire phone towards you. To close the left panel, swipe out from the center to the left.
Here you can see the left panel in the app grid view and in settings.
The Right Panel
The right panel displays available actions and contextual information depending on what you are doing. In the home screen the right panel shows new text messages, upcoming appointments, calls, and so on.
To customize the information displayed in the right panel in the home screen, go to Settings > Applications & Parental Controls > Manage Home screen right panel.