Installing Apps On Fire Phone Both From Amazon Appstore & Google Play
It’s certainly apps and games which make your Fire phone roll! That’s why you should know where & how to look for, download and install new apps on your device.
In this short tutorial I will show you how to install apps to Fire phone. The tutorial has two main parts: installing apps from Amazon Appstore (level: easy) and installing apps from Google Play (level: intermediate).
If you have any problems, questions or comments, feel free to contact me or share your thoughts in the comment box below.
UPDATE: You don’t need to manually install apps from Google Play in the way I show here. You can install Google Play (or other alternative app store) on your Fire phone and use all the Google apps. Check this tutorial out: How To Install Google Play On Fire Phone.
Part I: How To Install Apps On Fire Phone From Amazon Appstore (Level: Easy)
Amazon Appstore (containing almost 300,000 apps for Fire phone) is present on every Fire phone by default. If you bought your Fire phone from Amazon (not from AT&T), your Amazon account will already be integrated with your Fire phone.
If you bought your Fire from AT&T, you have to create a new Amazon account or add your existing one to your Fire. Once you do that, you can start looking for new apps and games!
Fortunately, looking for new apps and installing them from Amazon Appstore is incredibly easy on Fire phone. Here’s what you need to do.
- Swipe the left edge or tilt the left edge to open the left panel. The left panel will appear.
- Choose APPS or GAMES depending on what you are interested in.
- Amazon Appsotre will open. You will see many apps suggestions and recommendations.
- To install a new app, either choose one from the suggestions or look for a different app by typing a keyword in the field on top.
- Once you clicked on the app of your choice, click on either the red FREE button (if it’s a free app) or the button with price.
- The button will turn into green and say Get App. Click on it.
- The app will download and install.
- When it’s ready, you will see the red button Open. Click on it and start enjoying your new app or game.
That’s all. Your new app will now be added to the apps grid so that you can use it any time. That was easy, wasn’t that?
How To Install The Free App Of The Day To Your Fire
The free app of the day is one of the best promotions Amazon offers. What it means is that every day one paid app is available for free (the app changes every day) so you have 24 hours to download and install it.
You can install the free app of the day either from your Fire phone or from desktop:
- To install the free app from your Fire phone, go to Appstore (open the left panel and choose Apps or open Appstore from apps grid). Once you enter the Appstore, you will see the app right in the center of the screen. To download it simply click on it and then on FREE.
- To install the free app of the day from your desktop, log in to your Amazon account and go to Amazon Appstore For Android. Once you are in the store, you will notice the free app of the day in the middle of the page. To make it work, you have to log in with the same account that is associated with your Fire and your Fire must be connected to the Internet.
Part II: How To Install Apps On Fire Phone From Google Play (Level: Intermediate)
UPDATE: You don’t need to manually install apps from Google Play in the way I show here. You can install Google Play (or other alternative app store like Mobogenie) on your Fire phone and use all the Google apps. Check these two tutorials out: How To Turn Fire Phone Into An Android Phone and How To Install Google Play On Fire Phone.
Even though Amazon Appstore is really huge, you may still miss the apps and games you know from Google Play. There are many apps which are available only on Google Play and you won’t find them on Amazon Appstore.
What’s more, you cannot download Google Play app from Amazon Appstore and no Google app (like Google Maps or Google Now) will work on Fire phone. However, that’s not the end of the world. You can manually download apps from Google Play and then transfer them to your Fire phone. Here is how you do it.
- You need to install a Google Chrome (or Firefox depending on which browser you use) extension for downloading APK files from Google Play. I will tell you how to do it if you use Chrome.
Go to Chrome Web Store and look for APK Downloader. Click ADD and the extension will be added to your browser.
- Now go to Google Play on your desktop computer. Look for the apps or games you want to have on your Fire phone.
- Click on the game or app and when you are on its page you will have three options: Install, Add to Wishlist and Download APK. Click on Download APK.
- You will see the window like the one below. You need to give your Google account information (e-mail address and password) so that an identification token is retrieved. Remember that this will not work if you have two-step verification turned on. To know your Android Device ID (on some Android device you use), install app called Device ID, open it and it will display your Device ID you need to enter in this field.
When you are done, you can download APK files from Google Play to your desktop computer.
- Next, connect your Fire phone to your computer. It’s best to create a new folder where you will store your APK files. I created a folder named APK. Transfer the apps you downloaded from Google Play to the folder. Disconnect your Fire phone from your desktop computer.
- Now download some file manager (if you don’t have one yet) from Amazon Appstore (just like I explain it in Part I of this tutorial). I recommend ES File Explorer (click on the image below to download it).
- Next, make sure that your Fire phone allows installation of apps not from Amazon. Go to Settings > Applications and Allow installation of applications not from Amazon. Turn the feature on and you will see a Warning (like the one below). Click OK.
- Now open ES File Explorer you have just installed. Open the folder you created (in my case it’s APK) and open the APK file you copied there.
- Your fire will show the permissions of the app you are about to install. Click Install and the app will install.
10. Now you can Open it and use it. The app will be added to apps in the apps grid.
Now You Know How To Install Apps On Amazon Fire Phone
You’ve done it! That’s it! Now you know how to install apps on Fire phone both from Amazon Appstore and from Google Play (or other app markets). Did you encounter any problems? Do you install apps to your Fire in any other way?
Feel free to share your thoughts. I’d love to hear from you.
Other Articles & Tutorials:
- How To Clear Call History On Fire Phone
- How To Transfer Files To Fire Phone (NEW!)
- Fire Phone: How To Close And Manage Apps (NEW!)
- How To Turn Fire Phone Into Android Phone (NEW!)
- How To Sideload Apps To Fire Phone (NEW!)
- How To Get Snapchat For Fire Phone
- How To Load Contacts To Fire Phone From Android Phone (NEW!)